Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Pumpkin Butter





Its that time of year again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ITS FALL or in other terms pumpkin season :D I love all things pumpkin. All year round. I love it. I even had pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheese icing at my wedding (that recipe is to come). So in the midst of my fun in the kitchen. I found pumpkin butter and I had to try it. I would like to add that I did not can my pumpkin butter I froze it. All of the research I have done is coming up with inconclusive results on if its cannable at home or not. Pumpkin is a low ph food therefore it should not be canned at home. Some people have canned it in a pressure canner and swear by it. Others have water bathed canned it and swear by it. I on the other hand am not going to risk botulism for pumpkin butter lol. I love pumpkin but not that much. So please before you take this recipe and make it and attempt to can it. Do your research. I froze mine and It will last way longer then it will actually stay in the freezer (we eat it too quick) Freezing it does not change the flavor or quality of the butter at all. With that being said lets get to the good stuff. 


Pumpkin butter yum yum yum. 


4-4.5 cups of fresh pumpkin puree (about 4lbs of pumpkin)
1/4 cup sweet apple cider or juice
1 cup brown sugar
3-4 tbsp pure maple syrup, to taste
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp fresh lemon juice (enchances flavor and helps preserve)
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of sea salt

Instructions:


1. Steam or roast pumpkins. Cool for about 10 minutes and remove pumpkin flesh from the skin.
2. Add flesh (without the skin) in a food processor, add juice and blend until smooth ,stopping to push down pumpkin when necessary, add more juice if needed.
3.Add the brown sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon and nutmeg. Process again until smooth. (I added maple syrup and tasted it and added more. I am not a huge maple fan so I didn't want it to be to maple-y)


4.Spoon mixture into a medium sized pot, Cover with a lid and prop lid ajar with a wooden spoon. Over medium-high heat bring to a low boil. Reduce heat to a medium low and cook for 10 more minutes or until desired consistancy. Keep the lid ajar but covered. It will be hot and it splatters everywhere.Remove from heat and add vanilla. 
5.Cool completely, stir in lemon juice and salt. Store in a sealed jar in fridge will last up to 4 weeks. Store in freezer for up to a year. 




this stuff is absolutely amazing!!! I am in love. I already have some in the freezer and I am probably going to add to it so I can have it all year round!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment