Friday, August 3, 2012

Under 100 calorie doughnuts



My daughter had been begging for a doughnut. She loves them and if they have sprinkles she is even happier. But the amount of sugar and the calorie contents makes those tasty little O's all the more reason to stay away. So I found a recipe online for low calorie doughnuts and they are delicious.

3 tbsp butter or margarine,softened
¾ cup of sugar
3 eggs
1 cup applesauce
1 tsp vanilla extract
4½ cups all-purpose flour
3½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
½ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ ground nutmeg
¼ cup milk
oil for deep frying
additional sugar


In a mixing bowl cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time beating after each addition. Beat in applesauce and vanilla. 
Combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg ; add to creamed mixture alternating with milk (the batter will be thick do not be alarmed) 
In a fryer or a pot heat oil to 350f. Drop teaspoons of batter into hot oil. Turning with a slotted spoon until golden. (about a minute or two on each side) 
Drain on paper towels, Roll in sugar while warm 



Best eaten warm.

Here are few shots of the ones we made today not the best shots but I was rushing and packing them up for my husband for work. We rolled ours in sugar and some in powdered sugar. If I had more time I would of done a glaze for them. These would also be super super yummy rolled in a cinnamon sugar and dipped a icing ( but i think at that point they wouldnt be under a 100 calories haha )  These were huge. I am sure I can make them smaller but would eat more. So made them a decent size had one and was content. Oh I forgot to mention my house smelled delightful after making these. I am definitely going to make them again!. Make sure you eat them while they are still warm. These are going to go in the keep pile for my recipe book. 



No comments:

Post a Comment