Saturday, July 28, 2012

Soft Pretzels


Its summer time, and that means soft pretzels and water ice ( well to me it does.) You see I grew up in NJ and Philly, and when summer rolled around it was weeknight trips to Rita's and The pretzel factory . Yummmm. So tonight I decided to pull out the recipe I found a few years ago. I relocated to FL. with family in high school and after a few years of eating the crap frozen and pop in the oven pretzels. I was determined to find a great soft pretzel recipe. And I did.





Soft Pretzel Recipe
1½ cup warm water
1 1/8 tsp yeast
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 1/8 tsp salt
1 cup bread flour
3 cup flour

2 cup warm water
2 tbsp baking soda
4 tbsp melted butter

    Sprinkle yeast on lukewarm water in mixing bowl , Stir to dissolve. Add sugar, salt,and stir to dissolve ; add flour and knead dough until smooth and elastic. Let rise at least ½ hour. 



    While dough is rising, prepare baking soda water bath. Mix 2 cups of warm water with 2 tbsp of baking soda. Be certain to stir often. 
    After dough has risen, pinch off bits of dough and roll into a long rope ( about ½ inch or less thick) and shape into desired pretzel shape. 




    Dip pretzel into baking soda bath and place on a greased cookie sheet. Allow pretzels to rise again. Bake at 450f for about 10 minutes or until golden brown. 
    Brush with melted butter and enjoy!


    (This can also be make in a bread machine, add the first set of ingredients into bread machine pan and run on dough cycle. Continue as followed. )

    I top my pretzels with coarse salt before baking for a nice salty pretzel. You can top with Cinnamon and sugar and dip in icing for a sweeter treat. The options are endless 

    My daughter with her pretzel ( I think she is excited)



    No comments:

    Post a Comment